Jeffrey R. Schell, Esq.
Uniquely experienced among patent lawyers at raising funds and successfully commercializing intellectual property assets, Rocky Mountain Patent founder Jeff Schell remains a central figure within the Colorado venture community.
Jeff advises startups and innovators across the country in the patenting of their inventions, while leading the core Denver patent team. He also assists companies in their R&D processes as they refine their ideas. He honed his R&D skills, using tools related to lean design and process-based innovation, while helping to expand a well-known Michigan-based consulting business into Shanghai, China. He has built a reputation developing intellectual property strategies catering to the specialized needs of startups and early stage founders, particularly in the Denver and Boulder communities.
Jeff earned undergraduate and graduate degrees from Northwestern University. He separately studied economics at Harvard University, and in 2007, was a delegate at the Harvard China-India Development & Relations Symposium. Jeff is a licensed patent attorney practicing law before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, admitted to practice in the state jurisdictions of Colorado and Michigan with “retired in good standing” status in Illinois, and licensed to practice in federal courts in the District of Colorado and the Eastern District of Michigan.
Jeff is also certified by the National Association of Patent Practitioners. (NAPP® Certification is voluntary and the NAPP does not endorse or warrant the services of its members. Colorado does not certify lawyers as specialists in any field.)
In 2015, Jeff successfully commercialized patents that he himself prosecuted in the medical device space after completing a multi-million dollar raise. The Denver Post named Jeff a finalist for Colorado’s “Innovator of the Year” and “Denver Trailblazer” awards as part of the Millennial Week 80/95 Awards. In 2016, Jeff was named one of the 25 “Most Influential Young Professionals in Colorado” by ColoradoBiz Magazine. He was also a 2018 Denver Business Journal “40 Under 40” nominee. Jeff is a member of the TiE Rockies Board of Directors and the Colorado Bioscience Association Policy Committee. He serves on the boards of a variety of innovative companies.
- Admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Court, District of Colorado
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- Admitted to Practice in Colorado
- Admitted to Practice in Michigan
- Bachelor of Engineering, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Master of Medical Informatics, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- Juris Doctor, DePaul University (Center for Intellectual Property Law and Technology), Chicago, IL
- Supplemental Economics Study, Harvard University
- International Graduate Work at University College Dublin in Dublin, Ireland (European Union Law); Universidad Nacional in Heredia, Costa Rica (Human Rights Law in the Americas); and the Beijing Foreign Studies University in Beijing, China (Chinese Intellectual Property Law)
- Advanced Patent Litigation Strategies, Practicing Law Institute, 2018